May 23...I'm Still Here!

OK…with all of this doomsday stuff going on, I cannot help but to comment on it. I have heard the jokes all week. People are making Rapture jokes like there is no tomorrow!  My students and I have discussed this in class many times. So being an observer of our culture, bare with me as I give my observations. I truly believe that something good is going to come out of this! Three areas I want to cover, Anger, Lack of Knowledge, Opportunity.


Anger
As I have watched the news reports and Youtube videos a sense of anger has stirred my heart. Anger towards one, who as a leader and carrier of God’s Word, would speak recklessly on an issue that clearly states in Matthew 24:36, “No one knows about that day or hour, not even the angels in heaven, nor the Son, but only the Father.” Again the person who said this reiterates his idea in verse 42 by saying, “Therefore keep watch, because you do not know on what day your Lord will come.” The word “Therefore” when used in Scripture always meant, “Listen, I have something important to say!”. Oh, and by the way, the person who said these words…Jesus! Yet fast forward to the year 2011 and we have a man who gives a date and with all arrogance, even a time!

Will there be a judgment? Yes (Matthew 25:31-46; Rev. 20:11-15)! Will there be a rapture? Personally, you can take it or leave it…I believe in one (1 Thessalonians 4:13-18). Will there be a time of tribulation? Yes (Rev. 8 – 11). My anger burns against one who would mislead others and play with the souls of man. Peter gives a warning to the early church which is applicable to us today…

But there were also false prophets among the people, even as there will be false teachers among you, who will secretly bring in destructive heresies, even denying the Lord who bought them, and bring on themselves swift destruction. And many will follow their destructive ways, because of whom the way of truth will be blasphemed. By covetousness they will exploit you with deceptive words; for a long time their judgment has not been idle, and their destruction does not slumber. 2 Peter 2:1-3

Lack of Knowledge
Paul warns Timothy in his first pastoral letter, “Watch your life and doctrine closely. Persevere in them, because if you do, you will save both yourself and your hearers.” (1 Timothy 4:16) Paul’s last letter to Timothy challenge’s him to preach the Word boldly with sound instruction, and then Paul gives this insight,

For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear. They will turn their ears away from the truth and turn aside to myths. (2 Timothy 4: 3-4).

Please hear me when I say this…KNOW WHAT THE BIBLE SAYS! If these followers of this movement would have just read the Scriptures, they would not have been so deceived so easily!

See to it that no one takes you captive through hollow and deceptive philosophy, which depends on human tradition and the basic principles of this world rather than on Christ. Colossians 2:8

It breaks my heart to hear some of the sacrifices people made for this cause. In an interview, one family (father, mother and three children), sold everything, and have been living in an RV for a year spreading the "message of the coming destruction". The kicker...they stopped home schooling their kids because "there was no need to".

Opportunity
I believe this has created such a great opportunity! For the last week I have seen news clips of end time stories. People are questioning and wondering if this is true? It has open discussions throughout the streets and cities throughout the nation and world. It has brought questions to the forefront…”Are you ready?” “Will Jesus return? If so, what makes you so sure?” “Do you believe in this end times stuff?” Questions that will make people look into themselves and ask some serious and hard questions about life after death. I do not believe that this “claim” has gone unnoticed in the heavenly realm. Through this claim, God has opened a door of opportunity to share our faith and the truth behind end time theology. We can correct the wrong by sharing the truth! A true leader always seeks an opportunity to make an impact!

A year ago I attended a worldview conference. One of the sessions was led by Dr. Ed Hindson. Dr. Hindson is a professor at Liberty University and author of various books. His expertise is end time theology. He took us through the book of Revelation in an hour! I learned so much in that time that I have used my notes to teach a lesson on the Doctrine of End Times to my class last year. Pull out your Bible. Get a note pad (you are going to need it!). Sit back and be encouraged by Dr. Ed Hindson! Allow this messge to prepare and equip you for such a time as this!

Posted is part 1. Parts 2, 3, and 4 will be added each day of the week. Enjoy!



His call. His gift to you. Your purpose. Irrevocable.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Lets get it started!

Connected