Spring Series Prt 4: Leaders, Stand in MY Council to Receive Your Vision


“Therefore,” declares the LORD, “I am against the prophets who steal from one another words supposedly from me. Yes,” declares the LORD, “I am against the prophets who wag their own tongues and yet declare, ‘The LORD declares.’ Indeed, I am against those who prophesy false dreams,” declares the LORD. “They tell them and lead my people astray with their reckless lies, yet I did not send or appoint them. They do not benefit these people in the least,” declares the LORD.  (Jeremiah 23:30-32)

This week I would like to share some observations on this passage and then leave you with an encouraging word. Hang in there with me, because I believe this could challenge you, just as it has challenged me.
I would like to point out the following observations: “words supposedly from me”, “wag their own tongues”, “lead my people astray with their reckless lies”, “I did not send or appoint them”, and “They do not benefit these people in the least”.

Each of these phrases describes a negative. The prophets of this time were speaking words that brought false hope and no direction to the people of Jerusalem. They were about to face destruction/punishment for the years in which leaders and people did “evil in the eyes of the Lord” (2 Kings 22-25; 2 Chronicles 34-36). The people had committed sins of idolatry and rebellion. People would come to the temple to honor God, yet, they held onto their rituals to other gods (Jer. 7:9-11). To give you an example…it would be like me living la vida loca during the week, but then come Sunday it was raising my hands and worshiping God. There was no change in the hearts of the people. They turned their backs on God! This is how far they had gone. Their children were being sacrificed to foreign gods by throwing them into the fire (Jer. 7:30-31). Idols had been set up in the Temple of the Lord! Altars throughout the land were popping up. Remember, with every negative there is a positive. Let’s take these phrases the Lord shares and see what the opposite would be.

“words supposedly from me”……………………..words from me
“wag their own tongues”…………………………...speak my words
“lead my people astray with………………………lead my people with integrity their reckless lies”
“I did not send or appoint them”…………I sent them and appointed them
“They do not benefit these……………………….They benefit the people people in the least”.

While the leaders cried out “Peace and no destruction!”, and condoning the practices of the people, Jeremiah cried “Repent and be saved! Turn from your ways and God will forgive you!” He saw what was at hand! He saw what was coming! Jeremiah spoke words that:

Were from the Lord….
….he lead his people with integrity….
….he was sent and appointed by God for this moment in history
….he was a benefit to the people, especially those that heard his
message and repented.

The lesson:
When leaders stand in the council of God, they will see what others cannot! They will speak words that others cannot hear! They will lead with integrity, not because of their own gain, but because it brings glory and honor to God alone! They will walk with confidence because they know that their position has been ordained by God for such a time as this! They will know that their position is not for themselves but a greater cause than them alone!

I heard a great definition of a leader from a biblical perspective:

“A leader is a person who views the world from God’s perspective, who exercises his or her gifts and talents with excellence and perseverance, and who strategically plans to serve others.”
-Jeff Meyers (President of Summit Ministries)

Those you lead are your responsibility. God has given them to you for a season. Some will follow and others will fall to the way side. You will have mockers and you will have those that speak your praise. You will have those who seek your fall and those who will lift you up. Look at Jeremiah. I am sure some listened and repented, yet he had many mockers! He had those who sought his failure. His friends even turned on him!

“[But Jeremiah said] O Lord, You have persuaded and deceived me, and I was persuaded and deceived; You are stronger than I am and You have prevailed. I am a laughingstock all the day; everyone mocks me. For whenever I speak, I must cry out and complain; I shout Violence and destruction! For the word of the Lord has become to me a reproach and a derision and has brought me insult all day long.” Jer. 20:7-8 (Amplified Bible)

“For I have heard many whispering and defaming, [There is] terror on every side! Denounce him! Let us denounce him! Say all my familiar friends, they who watch for my fall, Perhaps he will be persuaded and deceived; then we will prevail against him, and we will get our revenge on him.” Jer. 20:10 (Amplified Bible)

BUT, because Jeremiah spent time in the council of the Lord, he was able to reach down to the depths of his heart…

“If I say, I will not make mention of [the Lord] or speak any more in His name, in my mind and heart it is as if there were a burning fire shut up in my bones. And I am weary of enduring and holding it in; I cannot [contain it any longer]. Jer. 20:9 (Amplified Bible)

“But the Lord is with me as a mighty and terrible One (like a mighty warrior, as read in the NIV); therefore my persecutors will stumble, and they will not overcome [me]. They will be utterly put to shame, for they will not deal wisely or prosper [in their schemes]; their eternal dishonor will never be forgotten.” Jer. 20:11 (Amplified Bible)

My dear friends, if there is ever a time that we need strong leaders, it’s now! Whether it be a politician. Pastor. Business owner. Director. Manager… You fill in the blank. We need men and women who will lead, after they have stood in the council of God.  Leaders….Stand in the council of the Lord to receive the word for this generation! Stand in the council of the Lord to receive your healing from the scares of those who have tried to bring you down! Stand in the council of the Lord to receive your healing from self-doubt, so that a holy confidence may arise in you! Stand in the council of the Lord to receive the anointing that will set you apart! Stand in the council of the Lord to receive the vision that will shift time as we know it!  Leaders! Arise, for the Council of the Lord awaits your arrival!

The Motions by Matthew West from cedarcreek.tv production on Vimeo.


Lord I lift up those who lead, in whatever position they have. May your anointing fall upon them as they stand in Your council. I ask Lord to give them sight, when no one else can see. I ask Lord to give them words to speak when others cannot hear. Lord birth ideas that come from your throne that will bring healing, hope and prosperity to others. Lastly, Lord I ask for those who enter into your council to never leave the same! Anoint these leaders Lord, so when they enter the marketplace, it will be changed!
Amen.

His call. His gift to you. Your purpose. Irrevocable.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Lets get it started!

Connected