Characters of a Leader: Louder than Words!


In the last couple of weeks I have had the opportunity to sit in about 30 interviews for various positions in student leadership, at the school I teach. As a teacher I have the privilege to watch many of these students in class and interact with them on the campus. In reading some of the applications I could not help but to think, “Great application, but why do I not see it in class or on the campus?” What was written on paper did not show itself with others. Through the process the main question that came to my mind as I sat there and listened to the questions and answers was, “What have you done to prepare yourself to serve in this position?” “Do your actions speak louder than your words?”


During this process of interviews, God brought me to James. It was one of those moments where the Scriptures jump out at you! In James 2:14-26 we are given a challenge by James on the importance of faith and deeds. Yet it is verse 24 I want to take a look at.

“You see that a person is justified by what he does and not by faith alone,”
Justified by what he does….
Chuck Smith puts it this way, “It isn't saying I have faith, it is demonstrating the faith because of the works of my life is in harmony with what I am declaring that I believe.” Let me give you an example. In California, tornadoes are not common. Yet we have had two in the northern part of the state this past week! Not big, yet it caused some damage and some interesting news clips for our part of the country! It is nothing like we have seen in recent weeks though in the Midwest…back to the example. Let’s say that there is a party going on at my house. The house is full of friends and family. We are having a great time! While I was out going to get more ice I overheard on the radio a warning…. “Warning! Tornado sighted on the outskirts of the city! Seek shelter! Tornado arrival in about 5 min.” With that knowledge, I walk in to the house calmly and gather everyone around. With no worries in my voice I say the following, “My dear friends. In five minutes there will be a tornado arriving in our town. I know, I know. The chances of it hitting here are slim, but I just wanted you to know.” The people would probably look at me with confusion, laugh and move on with their conversations. Why? Because my actions did not justify the outcome. My actions were not in sync with what I was declaring. Yet, if I stormed into the house yelling, “Tornado is coming!!!! We need to seek shelter NOW! I know! I know! The chance of a tornado hitting us is slim, yet we need to be safe and seek shelter! NOW MOVE!” People would be running for shelter, why? Because my actions and what I was declaring were working together to save others!

James is saying, our actions should live out that which we declare! If we stand and say,

“I believe that there is a God who has created all things! I am his creation! I am a believer in Christ. I have accepted him as my Lord and Savior. I believe that there absolutes and that the Scriptures are true in helping me through life and drawing me closer to God”. If this shouts from the depths of our hearts, then it should shout out to those around us when we enter into a room! Our actions declare that which we believe!

…not by faith alone.
We can wear a Christian t-shirt. Have a fish symbol on the car. We can proclaim our knowledge of the Scriptures. Yet they are meaningless unless lived out! Many of the applicants shared with us their knowledge of the Scriptures and even the characteristics of a leader, yet it was not evident where it counted. In the midst of their peers! Once again, our actions need to be in sync with what we declare!

I am reminded of two fighters before the big fight answering questions from the press. The champion declares that he will beat his opponent into a pulp. The crowd cheers. Flashes click as you see the champion look into the eyes of his opponent. The newspapers and internet blogs declare the proclamation of the champion…”Champ to beat his opponent into a pulp!” Even though the reporters do not know the outcome of the fight, they can declare and have faith in the words spoken, because they saw the Champ working out vigorously for months! They believe him! They saw his routine! They recorded his workouts! The fight comes and sure enough, the champ was true to his word! The champ not only believed he could beat his opponent; he lived it out every day in the gym in preparation for the big fight! He lived out that which he declared! Once again, the actions and what one was declaring were working together! We can say “I believe in Jesus.”, but if actions do not follow what we declare, its meaningless!

Then we get to verse 25. James takes us to part two of this tiny message. But, why did James use Rahab? She was a prostitute (tidbit: some of the Hebrew interpretations declare her as an innkeeper. Famous Jewish historian Josephus also mentions her as an innkeeper). Yet here James gives validity to her actions with the spies! I have always thought of that as a weird example, until I started looking into it. The story goes back to Rahab (Joshua 2). How did Rahab account as someone as righteous? It was her faith put into action that propels her to her greatness!

Before the spies lay down for the night, she went up on the roof and said to them, “I know that the LORD has given this land to you and that a great fear of you has fallen on us, so that all who live in this country are melting in fear because of you. We have heard how the LORD dried up the water of the Red Sea for you when you came out of Egypt, and what you did to Sihon and Og, the two kings of the Amorites east of the Jordan, whom you completely destroyed. When we heard of it, our hearts melted and everyone’s courage failed because of you, for the LORD your God is God in heaven above and on the earth below. Now then, please swear to me by the LORD that you will show kindness to my family, because I have shown kindness to you. Give me a sure sign that you will spare the lives of my father and mother, my brothers and sisters, and all who belong to them, and that you will save us from death.” “Our lives for your lives!” the men assured her. “If you don’t tell what we are doing, we will treat you kindly and faithfully when the LORD gives us the land.” Joshua 2:8-14

Here Rahab takes the warning of the spies by faith. She has heard what God did in Egypt and too the Ammorite kings. Because of that she comes to believe that there is a God greater than hers! She had come to believe in the God of the Hebrews and by her actions hid the spies. Her faith was lived out by her actions. People have a choice to live out that which they declare! Let’s go back to the example of the tornado. The people could have taken the warning and done nothing. They could have listened and went back to their conversations, yet they heard the warning and did something about it! They hid! Rahab herd the news and believed it was true. The spies come into the picture with a warning and she helps them, knowing that what God said, he was going to do. God also had a plan for Rahab which also makes her important. She was to become the great-grandmother of King David, and thus part of Jesus lineage!

Thus leading us to James last statement in chapter 2… “As the body without the spirit is dead, so faith without deeds is dead.” Our soul gives us life. Without it, we are dead! They work together. One cannot live without the other! So the same with our faith and deeds! Our actions should be a reflection of what we declare!

So to my leaders out there…we cannot live a life that proclaims our salvation and then do business that dishonors God! As leaders we cannot place the symbol of a fish on our card or quote Scripture and take advantage of our customers. As leaders we cannot proclaim the words of righteousness and then live differently when everyone is gone. Our actions need to declare that which we proclaim! In these “end time hours”, people will need someone to go to. Take a look around at what is going on in our culture! People are looking for answers! Natural disasters. Documentaries asking questions about the validity of Christ. False prophecies of Christ return. If there is ever a time for leaders to rise is now! Live a life that your actions declare the promises of God! Your business is set up for opportunities to impact the marketplace! Paul understood it! It is believed that wherever Paul would go, he would set up shop in the marketplace to help cover expenses, but it was an opportunity to be where the people were. Remember, his profession, other than a Pharisee, he was a tent maker. His shop was an opportunity to do business differently! It was his place to live out his faith in the midst of the people! It was his time to shine! His challenge to the Church of Rome rings loud with truth for us today!

“And do this, understanding the present time. The hour has come for you to wake up from your slumber, because our salvation is nearer now than when we first believed. The night is nearly over; the day is almost here. So let us put aside the deeds of darkness and put on the armor of light. Let us behave decently, as in the daytime, not in orgies and drunkenness, not in sexual immorality and debauchery, not in dissension and jealousy. Rather, clothe yourselves with the Lord Jesus Christ, and do not think about how to gratify the desires of the sinful nature.” Romans 13:11-14
Rise leaders of the 21st century. Your time has come to proclaim the greatness of God! Let your actions declare the glory of the Lord!

His call. His gift to you. Your purpose. Irrevocable.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Lets get it started!

Connected