All In!

"Fairy tales are more than true; not because they tell us that dragons exist, but because they tell us that dragons can be beaten."    — G.K. Chesterton

The call of Elisha has always stood out to me. Here is Elijah hiding in the caves for fear of his life. He had just shaken his culture by humiliating and killing the prophets of Baal (1 Kings 18). God shows himself with such power that those that witnessed this epic confrontation of ideas fell to their knees and repented. Yet a threat from Jezebel, who was angry at the killing of the prophets of Baal, thrust Elisha into hiding. We then read the conversation between God and Elijah in 1 Kings 19:1-18. At the end, God assures Elijah of the 7000 men who have not turned their backs on God (vs 18). Thus the call of Elisha.

“So Elijah went from there and found Elisha son of Shaphat. He was plowing with twelve yoke of oxen, and he himself was driving the twelfth pair. Elijah went up to him and threw his cloak around him. Elisha then left his oxen and ran after Elijah. “Let me kiss my father and mother goodbye,” he said, “and then I will come with you.” “Go back,” Elijah replied. “What have I done to you?” So Elisha left him and went back. He took his yoke of oxen and slaughtered them. He burned the plowing equipment to cook the meat and gave it to the people, and they ate. Then he set out to follow Elijah and became his servant.” 1 Kings 19:19-21

Observations
“….plowing with twelve yoke of oxen, and he himself was driving the twelfth pair.”

That’s a lot of oxen! If I have this right that would be twenty four oxen. A yoke was made for two animals to pull a cart, or in this case a plow. If Elisha was on his twelfth pair, that would bring us to the twenty third and twenty fourth oxen. I have to ask…why all the oxen? It is very possible that Elisha had a lot of land to plow! And with all the oxen there, who was taking care of them? If this is the case, it is very possible that Elisha came from a family that was well off. This was a family who possibly owned land and had servants…look at the feast that was given in verse twenty-one!

Now let me try to paint a picture of this exchange between Elijah and Elisha. A man is walking in your field. That’s strange. One would have had to ask….”Who is this guy and what does he want?” “Should this be threat?” As the person draws closer you realize that he is a holy man of Israel. Scripture does not say there was exchange of words, just Elijah threw his mantel on Elisha. Everything comes to a halt. You think to yourself…”Weird? What just happened?”

I was sixteen years old on a missions trip in Greece. On this certain day our team was taking in the sights of Athens. We had found a little café and stopped to refresh ourselves. While waiting, I felt a very gentle touch on my shoulder which went from my left to the right. As I turned around I noticed a gentlemen walking away, turned around with a big smile, gave a wink, a wave and walked away! All of us were silent for a while. I myself was asking “What just happened?”. Then the chuckles came and I realized I just got hit on by some old Greek guy! No, I did not run after him, I ran in the opposite direction!!!!

When I think of this incident between Elijah and Elisha, this comes to my mind! I’m sure there were conversations amongst all who were there. Even some chuckles and laughter as the man began to dwindle in the horizon. Then it must have hit Elisha concerning the incident because we see Elisha run after him! “Wait! Wait! Let’s talk!” The symbolic gesture of passing the mantle was the passing of one ministry to another. Elisha was now going to be trained to take over where Elijah left off. Yet it is what Elisha does next that I want to focus on.

“So Elisha left him and went back. He took his yoke of oxen and slaughtered them. He burned the plowing equipment to cook the meat and gave it to the people, and they ate. Then he set out to follow Elijah and became his servant.” 1Kings 19:21

All in!
Elisha kills all twenty-four oxen and burns his plow and the yokes. It was all or nothing for Elisha. The symbolism behind his declaration was huge! Elisha was basically saying, “I am giving up this lifestyle to follow God’s call!” It was as if he was saying “I know the sacrifice I will make and I will not be tempted by my previous lifestyle”. What a mental picture that must have been for Elisha every time he passed the oxen and plow in the field. It must have brought him back to his commitment every time. The chapter ends with Elisha becoming Elijah’s attendant. Elisha gave up the luxuries of his life to be mentored by a man who was preparing him to be one of the Old Testaments greatest prophets. Elisha was saying “I’m all in!”

Challenge….
As evantrepenuers, are we all in? What is God calling you to do with your business? What is He calling you to do to impact your profession? I understand that the bills need to be paid…I get that. Our businesses and professions have been placed on our laps by a God who believes in our gifts. He has placed us in a position for such a time as this for a reason. I believe that when we see our business and profession as an opportunity to be an evantrepenuer to our community, God will bring blessings upon blessings. Whether that comes in the form of growth, health, family legacies and most importantly, our Christian walk with the Lord will have purpose and growth! We will not be walking around wondering how God can use me, doors of opportunity will fly open! God cannot use us to our full potential unless we are all in! Let’s take the example of Elisha’s attitude and get all in…and let’s see what happens? Just maybe…your business will be used like you have never thought of before!



His call. His gift to you. Your purpose. Irrevocable.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Lets get it started!

Connected