Characters of a Leader: Team Builder

A team is as good as its leader. Being involved with my wife’s business for the last twenty years I have heard many quotes, yet this is the one I use the most with my teams and their captains…

"The speed of the leader is the speed of the gang."
-Mary Kay
Last weekend I headed back to my Ala Mater for the annual Alumni Game. It had been twenty years since I set foot on the field I once played on. I was excited and couldn’t wait to put on my cleats and kick the ball around with other fellow alums. As the time came for the announcement of players I was getting excited! Then I heard the announcer voice each alumni’s year they played. “2005…..” “2007…..” “2009…” “2010….” “Ed Limon….played between 1986 and 1991!” At that moment as I made my way to the center of the field, I felt so old! I was the oldest player there! Then the announcer named the starters for Vanguard University. “From England……” From Ireland….” “From Senegal…..” “All Conference…..” You get the picture. It was humbling! As I watched from the bench, it took me only five minutes to realize that there was no way I am going to play tonight! They were hitting hard and I had a family to take care of! For me to play would be like a Peterbilt truck slamming into a Prius! So from the bench I watched the match. Vanguard was conference champs the year before and it showed! The intensity was high. This was their first match and they were chomping at the bit to play! The pace of the game was fast. To get an answer, I scanned the field for the team captain and watched how he played. Sure enough there he was going in hard and setting an example for his team mates. He was consistent. He set the standard for the team and everybody followed.

James gives us an example/challenge of two kinds of wisdom. Practical advice in getting along with people we come into contact with. Advice that gives us opportunities to be a great leader. James asks the reader a simple question…

Who is wise and understanding among you?
Basically, James is challenging the readers to take a look around and identify the “wise” people of the local church. James then gives two things the reader must look for….wisdom shown by his good life and deeds done in humility. He also gives an insight to the opposite by identifying one who “harbors bitter envy” and “selfish ambition”. James even goes further by stating a harsh warning…..

"Such “wisdom” does not come down from heaven but is earthly, unspiritual, demonic." James 3:15
Here is where the lesson comes in. James gives us characteristics for each of these leaders.

It’s About ME!

"For where you have envy and selfish ambition, there you find disorder and every evil practice." James 3:16

Let’s break this down….

Envy: a feeling of discontent or covetousness with regard to another's advantages, success, possessions, etc.

Selfish: devoted to or caring only for oneself; concerned primarily with one's own interests, benefits, welfare, etc., regardless of others.

Disorder: lack of order or regular arrangement; confusion

Evil Practice: hatred, gossip, jealousy, fits of rage, selfish, dissensions, cheating, lie for gain, embellished stories to make on look good, envy, stealing and lack of integrity.

Maybe you have come across a leader like this. One, who covets another’s success doing whatever it takes to get to that position and is devoted to only their interest thus creating a team that lacks order and births the characteristics of “evil practice” throughout their team. I get frustrated with leaders like this. As a body of believers in the marketplace, who profess themselves as followers of Christ, this cannot be part of our practice! For one may climb the ladder of success, yet when one looks at their legacy, there is nothing but carnage left behind. The carnage includes people who have been used or reflect the selfish ambitions of their leader…and the cycle continues on. I can hear James saying to the readers…”How does this reflect our Lord and Savior?” Our faith in Christ is not based on death and destruction but on life and hope! It is our responsibility as business owners, managers and team leaders to reflect this with our team. Christ did not come to leave carnage, but a people who reflected Himself to others!

Wisdom from Above

"But the wisdom that comes from heaven is first of all pure; then peace-loving, considerate, submissive, full of mercy and good fruit, impartial and sincere." James 3:17

Let’s break this down……

“…wisdom that comes from heaven is first of all pure;”
James is stating that when we connect to our heavenly Father, He will present ideas that are perfect for our life and every situation we face, because He is perfect. Check out what the Lord says in Isaiah.

"I am the LORD; that is my name! I will not yield my glory to another or my praise to idols. See, the former things have taken place, and new things I declare; before they spring into being I announce them to you." Isaiah 42:8-9

What a promise of the Lord given to us! When we stand smack center in His will he opens the floodgates of His favor!

James then gives us a list of characteristics of heavenly wisdom of a person who allows God to be the center of their life/business/team. Let’s break them down!

Peace: a state of mutual harmony between people or groups, especially in personal relations
Loving: feeling or showing love; warmly affectionate;
Considerate: showing kindly awareness or regard for another's feelings, circumstances,
Submissive: unresistingly or humbly obedient:
Mercy: an act of kindness, compassion, or favor
“good fruit”: Check out Galatians 5:22-23
Impartial: not partial or biased; fair; just:
Sincere: free of deceit, hypocrisy, or falseness; earnest

A leader who is anointed by God is a leader who seeks harmony by showing love towards another, and seeking out to make others feel special and empowered, regardless of who they are! They are a reflection of their God’s love and hope. The results? Look what James writes….

"Peacemakers who sow in peace raise a harvest of righteousness." James 3:18

Your harvest will be men and women who will follow you and pass on what you have shared with them. It will be a team filled with no drama and dissention. They will reflect you!

One day in the weight room I overheard some girls’ with my soccer team, they were talking with a newbie. Out of the blue one of the veteran girls said, “There is never any drama on our team!” They went on to share with pride how much fun it is to be on the team and a how they have a sense of a sisterhood. As coach, I admit at that moment I felt proud, because that is what I have been driving home with my girls for the last six years! They are getting it and passing it on to others!

Your legacy will be strong and when you look back you will see those lives impacting others, growing and flourishing! Your team needs you! Business can be done in a way that is pleasing to God and changes people’s lives!

So, who is wise and understanding among you? Will it be you?

His call. His gift to you. Your purpose. Irrevocable.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Lets get it started!

Connected