The Paul Factor Series: Introduction


For the next couple of weeks we will be looking at Paul. There is so much we can learn from Paul when it comes to impacting our surroundings. Paul understood that people would not come to the hope of Christ in a building...it was going out into the community. The place where people did business, talked politics and philosophy. Paul knew his mission...

For I would have you know, brothers, that the gospel that was preached by me is not man’s gospel. For I did not receive it from any man, nor was I taught it, but I received it through a revelation of Jesus Christ. For you have heard of my former life in Judaism, how I persecuted the church of God violently and tried to destroy it. And I was advancing in Judaism beyond many of my own age among my people, so extremely zealous was I for the traditions of my fathers. But when he who had set me apart before I was born, and who called me by his grace, was pleased to reveal his Son to me, in order that I might preach him among the Gentiles, I did not immediately consult with anyone; nor did I go up to Jerusalem to those who were apostles before me, but I went away into Arabia, and returned again to Damascus.
Then after three years I went up to Jerusalem to visit Cephas and remained with him fifteen days. But I saw none of the other apostles except James the Lord’s brother. (In what I am writing to you, before God, I do not lie!) Then I went into the regions of Syria and Cilicia. And I was still unknown in person to the churches of Judea that are in Christ. They only were hearing it said, "He who used to persecute us is now preaching the faith he once tried to destroy." And they glorified God because of me. Galatians 1:11-24 (ESV)


Paul was a religious leader...business owner...philosopher and author of 13 books of the New Testament. This fall series will take a look at Paul's life and how we can apply it to our lives. Paul had a love for the marketplace

Be earnest and unwearied and steadfast in your prayer [life], being [both] alert and intent in [your praying] with thanksgiving.And at the same time pray for us also, that God may open a door to us for the Word (the Gospel), to proclaim the mystery concerning Christ (the Messiah) on account of which I am in prison; That I may proclaim it fully and make it clear [speak boldly and unfold that mystery], as is my duty. Behave yourselves wisely [living prudently and with discretion] in your relations with those of the outside world (the non-Christians), making the very most of the time and seizing (buying up) the opportunity. Let your speech at all times be gracious (pleasant and winsome), seasoned [as it were] with salt, [so that you may never be at a loss] to know how you ought to answer anyone [who puts a question to you]. Colossians 4:2-6 (AMPV)


Here is what we will be studying:

Week 1: The Marketplace
To understand Paul, we have to understand the marketplace. It was a place where business, politics and education took place. This was the place where the early church knew and understood that work and sharing their faith was not a separate issue, but a place where they meshed together. "This was possible because they saw the marketplace as their parish and their business as a pulpit" ("Anointed for Business", Ed Silvoso, 2002) We will take a look at the historical background and how our place in today's "marketplace".

Week 2: Paul the Student
Paul was raised to be a "perfect" Jew. He studied under the great rabbi named Gamaliel and was on course to be a great rabbi himself. Through Gamaliel teaching, Paul became a great teacher and apologist of the Old Testament. It laid the foundation for Paul to be a great author. Yet more important, everything he read and studied concerning the Messiah came real to him on the road to Damascus. We will take a look at the importance of being a student.

Week 3: Paul the Business Owner
Every Pharisee had a profession. It was required! For Paul he was a tent maker. His profession opened doors in the marketplace. It also supported him while he was on his missions trips! This week will challenge you to see your profession as an opportunity that God has given to you to impact the lives of others! Who said you have to share the hope of Christ from only a pulpit?

Week 4: Paul the Philosopher
Paul knew his stuff! He was a great apologist! In reading Scripture, we see that Paul loved to talk in the porticoes of the marketplace. His worldview opened the door to share his faith with others. We will take a look at Acts 17 and learn from Paul an important lesson on understanding our worldview and the importance of having an answer for what we believe.

Week 5: Paul the Leader
It is unknown how many churches Paul pioneered. We do know that he was vital in the Church to whom he writes to. Paul was a great leader! Thousands of people looked to him for wisdom and interpretation of Old Testament Scripture. Through his leadership hundreds of small churches rose in a culture that was religious yet biased to those who did not follow the gods of the city. We will take a look at Paul's leadership abilities and see what we can gather from him.

Week 6: Paul the Mentor
Paul was into discipleship. One of the greatest mentor and students of the Bible is Paul and Timothy. Paul took the lessons he learned from Gamaliel and applied them to his relationship with Timothy. A great lesson to learn from! Paul taking an outcast, like Timothy, and empowering him to become a great leader in the church!

Week 7: Paul's Love for the Marketplace
After taking a look at Paul we will see why he loved being in the marketplace. His example to us today is one that should be lived out, as God uses our gifts in our culture. We will take a look at Paul's famous speech on Mars Hill.

Look forward to the next coming weeks!

I have also posted a new worship list containing songs lead by Jesus Culture. I hope that these songs bring a blessing to your own time with God.

His call. His gifts to you. Your purpose. Irrevocable.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Lets get it started!

Connected