Business Through the Eyes of Solomon: What's in a Name?

“The man of integrity walks securely, but the unfaithful are destroyed by their duplicity (“perversity” in the KJV).” Proverbs 11:3


Passages to read: Ecclesiastes 2 – 3; Proverbs 22:1


In the last three weeks we have taken a look at business through the eyes of Solomon. During his first part of his reign there are many lessons we can glean from him as compared to his second half of his reign which included his downfall and eventually the splitting of the kingdom. Here is what we have learned so far about business through the eyes of Solomon:

1. Ask for Godly wisdom (1 Kings 3:5-15)
2. Plan ahead by surrounding yourself with advisors that will help you
succeed (Prov. 15:22)
3. Work your plan by never giving up! (Lesson from the vineyard, Prov. 24:30-34)

...and the fourth lesson we can take from Solomon…Integrity.

“The man of integrity walks securely, but he who takes crooked paths will be found out.” Prov. 10:9


I just read an article on Bernie Madoff’s sons (Vanity Fair, July 2009, pg 66). In the article I came across the following statement from his youngest son, Andrew. “I’m unemployed, I don’t have any money, and I’m just trying to stay out of jail - my name is mud.” The author writes, “It’s difficult to capture just how toxic the name “Madoff” has become. At the Securities Traders Association of New York…no one will discuss him”

Ouch! Solomon writes in Proverbs 22:1, “A good name is more desirable than great riches; to be esteemed is better than silver and gold.” In Ecclesiastes he makes reference that ones name is greater than fine perfume. In each case riches will come and go. The sweet scent of fine perfume will eventually disappear. Yet it is our name that will continue on. What Solomon is referring to is not the reputation of one’s name, but the character of one’s being. In Ecclesiastes 2 -3 we read all of Solomon’s accomplishments. We read what he learned from his observations. In the midst of his great success and wealth we read, “This too is meaningless.” I have pondered many of times why Solomon would have said this. In reading Solomon’s words between Proverbs and Ecclesiastes, I think I have come up with an answer…integrity…the character of ones being. Whenever all the riches and success fade away, it will be integrity that will push us back to the platform in which God has intended for us. And when we do have wealth and success, it is integrity that cements us to the platform that God has for us! All that we obtain, whether necessary or not, are meaningless, without integrity. God wants to use you and your business to be a reflection of Him to a world that is looking for men and women of integrity. You have a platform to show the world the blessings of God. Your business can be that vessel that brings blessings to others! Do you realize that God wants to bless you and your business! It may not only be financial blessings, but it may come in the form of good health…children who follow God with all their heart…right connections at the right time…restored relationships. Instead of dwelling on the “secret” of life, dwell on these…

Prov. 11:28
“Whoever trusts in his riches will fall, BUT the righteous will thrive like a green leaf.”

Prov. 10:22
“The blessing of the LORD (whenever you see the Lord capitalized, means, the personal name of the Lord YAHWEH) brings wealth, and he adds no trouble to it.”

Prov. 28:6
“Better a poor man whose walk is blameless than a rich man whose ways are perverse.”

Prov. 28:25
“A greedy man stirs up dissension, BUT he who trusts in the LORD will prosper.”

Prov. 28:26
“He who trusts in himself is a fool, BUT who walks in wisdom is kept safe.”

As we plan ahead by surrounding ourselves with people who will help us to succeed and begin to work our plan, integrity must become the foundation we build on. When we do not walk in integrity, we will lose out in being used by God. Let integrity be the foundation that “works the plan” and the characteristic of those whom you surround yourself with. Let integrity unveil the favor of the Lord on your life!

“All my enemies whisper together against me; they imagine the worst for me, saying, ‘A vile disease has beset him; he will never get up from the place where he lies.’ Even my close friend, whom I trusted, he who shared my bread, has lifted his heel against me. BUT you, O LORD, have mercy on me; raise me up, that I may repay them. I know that you are pleased with me, for my enemies do not triumph over me. In my integrity you uphold me and set me in your presence forever. Praise be to the LORD, the God of Israel from everlasting to everlasting. Amen and Amen” David’s prayer Psalm 41:7-13

His call. His gifts. Your purpose. Irrevocable.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Lets get it started!

Connected