2013 Fall Series: Generation to Generation



Psalm 89:1 (AMP) it reads, “I will sing of the mercy and loving-kindness of the Lord forever; with my mouth will I make known Your faithfulness from generation to generation.”  

For the last few months my family’s normal has been changed since our daughter went off to college. The newness of an empty room and seat at the dinner table has become the new norm.  Sure we have had our Facetime family tradition- every Sunday night, but its not the same as having that person there to hug and hold. As daddy, I am learning to let go...and boy, that is hard to do!  I think one of the greatest fears of a parent is to let go of their child in a world that is uncertain of their beliefs and values.  There has been some reassurance as I have watched my daughter grow these last few months. She has made some wise decisions and then there have been times I wish I could reach through the screen and pop her one on the back of the head!  Yet overall, I am seeing determination and a sense of confidence grow in her.  My youngest is making her mark in high school!  Being one of her teachers on campus, I am able to step back and watch. That’s been fun!  Seeing your investment play out in front of you has been so rewarding.  I see both my girls relationship with the Lord grow as they include Him in their daily routine. The friends they have chosen and their involvement to help others.  I am seeing my baby girls grow up and become a women right before my eyes!  There are times throughout the day that I look at my girls and think back to the days we would go on walks.  I would put them both in the stroller and we would walk throughout the neighborhood. Those were good times!  How time flies!  Now our role has become counselors who give advice to young ladies to make it to the altar with as less baggage as possible.

As a parent who serves God, our responsibility is very clear….make God’s faithfulness known throughout the generations!   In my twenty-five plus years of working with families I have seen the worry of a teenager who is about to embark on a new chapter in life or parent who is not ready to let go because “time ran out”.  One year I had a father sit at a parent/teacher conference to see how his son was doing in class.  What was odd about the meeting was that it was at the end of the school year.  We met and the meeting went well.  Yet towards the end of the meeting it got quiet.  He then asked, “How is my son doing spiritually?  How’s he doing with God?”  I gave the best answer I could, but ended the meeting, broken heart.  Here was a father who was looking for some assurance that his son was serving God.  In just the last few weeks I asked a parent how their child was doing at school and being away from home.  The response, “I haven’t heard from her in weeks.”  Yet as I looked into her eyes, I could see some pain and uncertainty.  I could not imagine what that could feel like.  How important it is to create that relationship with our children to ask the tough questions, even when they are away from home.  I have seen young people who have grown up in the church or sit through my classes, who by the time they turn twenty-one they have left their faith.  That hurts.  I can’t imagine what it is for the parents.  In these next few weeks we are going to take a look at how we can change the fall of a generation who turn their backs on God and create a generation that embraces Him with all their heart!  We will take a look at four areas I believe that have impacted the “next generation”:  The challenging of a Christian Worldview; The death of Church; Parents living out their faith; Fighting on Your Knees.  I believe that these areas work together to break the chains that bind this generation.  I will share with you what we have learned these past few years while raising our daughters and give you some insight to begin laying down the foundation for your child NOW!  In a culture that is continuing to battle for the mind of our children, we as parents must rise up, invest time, and fight for our children!  Joshua at the end of his life gave a challenge to the Hebrew people, yet most importantly to his family:  



Now therefore, [reverently] fear the Lord and serve Him in sincerity and in truth; put away the gods which your fathers served on the other side of the [Euphrates] River and in Egypt, and serve the Lord. And if it seems evil to you to serve the Lord, choose for yourselves this day whom you will serve, whether the gods which your fathers served on the other side of the River, or the gods of the Amorites, in whose land you dwell; but as for me and my house, we will serve the Lord. -Joshua 24:14-15



His call.  His gift to you.  Your Purpose.  Irrevocable.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Lets get it started!

Connected