Summer 2013 Series: Trust Me.



Just a month ago we went on a family vacation to Mexico.  With us included my wife’s brother, his wife and their children, three and five years old.  I was looking forward to the opportunity to be with family, especially my niece and nephew.  My niece and nephew are filled with so much life and are very active!  If you know what I mean?   In my nephews short life our relationship has had a process.  Because we live far from each other we do not get the chance to see each other often.  At first when he began walking, he would not come to me and would pull away.  Each time we saw each other he was “forced” to say hello and to acknowledge me.  You know, when a child is in mommy or daddy’s arms and they are reluctant to let go of them into this strangers arms.  As he got older and began to understand that this man was “Uncle Ed”, he began to warm up to me.  I would play with him and his toys and try to build a relationship with my young nephew.  I would hold a conversation with him, as a young child could have.  I would just love on him, making sure that he knew “Uncle Ed loves him.”  This past Christmas it changed!  When he came through the door, this three year old kid ran into my arms and gave me the biggest hug while saying “Uncle!”.   What a memorable moment that was!  I became more than just another face, I became “Uncle Ed”!  Now back to Mexico!  One afternoon as the family was chilling in the pool, my nephew who does not know how to swim yet, stood on the edge and yelled, “Uncle, catch me!”  As I turned the kid leaped into the air!  I was caught off guard and caught him right when his feet entered the water!   My nephew began laughing and said “Again, Again!!!”  Once again he went to the edge of the pool and this time jumped with so much confidence!  We laughed had a good time and as any good uncle would do, I thought we could do better!  So I took him to the middle of the pool and threw him up in the air!  This kid was fearless!  While laughing he kept on yelling, “Again!  Again!”   The confidence he had in me knowing that Uncle Ed was going to catch him, made the moment very memorable as uncle and nephew bounded with each other.   

Trust:  means to have confidence; to rely on; entrust with something; to believe in.  It is powerful, yet requires one to submit to another.  

I will admit this can be hard!  “I” want to get direction and move my paths.  “I” can be impatient.  “I” can get in the way of what God wants to accomplish in my life.  We may have heard this many times in our life…..

“Trust in the Lord with all your heart, and lean not on your own understanding; in all your ways acknowledge Him, and He shall direct your paths.”  Proverbs 3:5 

Yet for me on this day I am reminded of God’s words, “Trust Me.”  A new chapter begins in a few weeks as my eldest heads off to college…”Trust Me.”   Career choices…”Trust Me.”  Profession obstacles…”Trust Me.”  Family decisions…”Trust Me.”  D.L. Moody once said,

"Trust in yourself and you are doomed to disappointment
Trust in money and you may have it taken from you;
But trust in God, and you are never to be confounded in time or eternity." 

When observing Proverbs 3:5, we see five things.  One, Trust in the Lord.  Two, with all your heart. Three, lean not on your own understanding.  Four, acknowledge Him.  Five, make your paths straight. 
Join us for the next few weeks as our Summer 2013 Series: Trust Me!  takes a look at this very famous passage and how it applies to our life.

Part 1: Trust In The Lord – I will share a few observations that I learned concerning my relationship with my nephew and how it relates to us and our relationship with God.  When we trust God in all situations, He declares new things into our life that will bring praise and glory to Him and create worth for our lives! Isaiah 42:5-9

Part 2: With All Our Heart  -  Our culture is very selfish.  We have so many things tugging at our heart that sometimes our relationship with God becomes a ritual.  In a Facebook page world you do not want to miss this!   Isaiah 59 

Part 3:  Lean Not On Your Own Understanding -  You may have heard this many times…. “It’s my life!  I’ll do what I want!”  We consult others when trials come our way, because once again…(say it with sarcasm) ”It’s our life.” Yet Isaiah ask a simple question, “…should not a people inquire of their God?”   Isaiah 8:11-22

Part 4:  Acknowledge Him – A message to the men out their!  We will learn Hezekiah’s hard lesson and how that applies to us today.  Fathers!  It’s time to tell your children the faithfulness of God to your children!  Isaiah 38

Part 5:  Make your paths Straight - The end result of TRUST.  When God acts, there is no one who can reverse His movement in our lives!  A man idea may come to pass, BUT a God must come to pass!  Isaiah 43:10-13

To receive an automatic post through your email, become a member by going to the left hand corner and under “Follow by Email”, enter your e-mail and click submit.  This is free of charge! 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Lets get it started!

Connected