Characters of a Leader: Gaining Wisdom



Happy (blessed, fortunate, enviable) is the man who finds skillful and godly Wisdom, and the man who gets understanding [drawing it forth from God's Word and life's experiences]. For the gaining of it is better than the gaining of silver, and the profit of it better than fine gold. Skillful and godly Wisdom is more precious than rubies; and nothing you can wish for is to be compared to her. Length of days is in her right hand, and in her left hand are riches and honor. Her ways are highways of pleasantness, and all her paths are peace. She is a tree of life to those who lay hold on her; and happy (blessed, fortunate, to be envied) is everyone who holds her fast. -Proverbs 3:13-18 (Amplified Bible)


In preparation for the series, Business Through Solomon's Eyes, I came across a video that caught my attention. It was the words of the speaker that captured my mind and thought. I do not remember anything else except the following..."Great leaders are great readers." Now please understand, growing up I was not a reader. I was one of those kids that had to be out and doing! Reading to me was boring and for the smart kids! I must admit, I did not see myself as one of the smart kids. When in college, I read because I had to. It was not until my thirties, that I began to enjoy picking up a book and read. In the last five years, I must have a book with me wherever I travel. A matter of fact, my mother-law, sister in-law and brother in-laws pulled together to buy me a Kindle for my birthday! I love it!

Now back to the speakers words. In researching leaders and entrepreneurs, I came to find that there were common characteristics...

Determination. Visionaries. Motivators. Communicators. Decisive.

Yet, each one alluded to the importance of reading a book! Some read a book a month! Former President George W. and Karl Rove made a game out of it by seeing who could read the most pages in a certain allotted time! Whenever a leader/entrepreneur was asked why they read, the answer was the same. To challenge their mind and learn from the past! Wisdom did not come by just meditating on it. It came by learning from the past. How true is Solomons words when he writes...

"Happy (blessed, fortunate, enviable) is the man who finds skillful and godly Wisdom, and the man who gets understanding [drawing it forth from God's Word and life's experiences]."

Being in a position of leadership, the speakers words challenged me to step out of the box. So I made a pact with myself. In the summer read a book on a Founding Father of America. In the fall...a book that feeds my spiritual walk with the Lord. For the winter, a book that takes a look at leaders/entrepreneurs, and in the spring, a book on business. I am proud to say that in the summer I read the biography of John Hancock. A Donald Trump of his time who helped finance the Revolutionary war. Did you know that the tradition we now call the State of the Union was started by John Hancock while he was Governor of Massachusetts? What an inspiration John Hancock is! In the fall, it was the life of the Apostle Paul. Reading his life inspired me to have an answer for my faith. His life and testimony challenged a culture in search of something greater than self. Currently for the winter I am finishing up President George W. Bush book, Decision Points. Each decision was meet with criticism, yet he stood his ground. Politics aside, whether you agree with him or not, as a leader he made decisions that he felt were for the greater good? How many of us know that when in leadership, no one likes an indecisive leader. They want one who makes a decision, and moves forward!

In Chronicles 12:23-40 we are given an account of David as he becomes king of Israel. Each tribe of Israel sent men to arm David's army. 3,000. 6,800. 7,100. 20,000. 40,000. 120,000. Yet there was one tribe, Issachar, who sent 200 men. Even though the number may seem insignificant, let's look at their characteristics. Verse 32 states that these men were chiefs who understood the times and knew what Israel should do. These were the leaders who were going to lead the troops! These 200 men understood their surroundings. They had gained wisdom, by whatever means, and they KNEW what Israel needed to do in order to be a strong nation that provided peace for their people.

If we are to be effective leaders, understanding the times must come from learning from the past. General George Patton was not only a great general by the way he spoke and inspired his tank division. He was a great general because he won battles by reading the ancient generals of history! Solomon is very adamant about one who "finds wisdom" and "gains understanding".

"...better than the gaining of silver, and the profit of it better than fine gold"

"...more precious than rubies.."

"Length of days is in her right hand, and in her left hand are riches and honor"

"Her ways are highways of pleasantness, and all her paths are peace"

"She is a tree of life.."


So here is the challenge. You want to become a great leader? Put away the Oprah Magazine and stretch your mind. Lay down the tabloid magazines that focus on the "drama" of others and read about one who has overcome the adversaries of life. Become a great leader by reading the lives of those we want to replicate. Who will join me in the Four Season Book Challenge?

Summer: The Founding Fathers
Fall: Feed my Spiritual Walk with the Lord
Winter: Leaders and Entrepreneurs
Spring: Business/Financial Education

I know it is only four books, but its a start. If you are a fast reader then great! Double the books for you!

The more you read, the more things you will know. The more that you learn, the more places you'll go.
- Dr. Seuss, "I Can Read With My Eyes Shut!"


Become a great leader by stretching your mind!

His call. His gift to you. Your purpose. Irrevocable.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Lets get it started!

Connected