I Get It!



We read in Scripture that God is a jealous God.  At first that seems arrogant and even some will go as far as saying that it makes God vulnerable to sin.  We are continued to be told not to attain jealousy in our everyday life.  Yet we read in Exodus 20:4-5, “You shall not make for yourself an image in the form of anything in heaven above or on the earth beneath or in the waters below. You shall not bow down to them or worship them; for I, the Lord your God, am a jealous God…”  Moses prior to him being taken up to heaven, warns the Hebrew children, “Be careful not to forget the covenant of the Lord your God that he made with you; do not make for yourselves an idol in the form of anything the Lord your God has forbidden. For the Lord your God is a consuming fire, a jealous God.” (Deuteronomy 4:23-24).  Even Paul in 1 Corinthians 10:21-22 states, “You cannot drink the cup of the Lord and the cup of demons too; you cannot have a part in both the Lord’s table and the table of demons. Are we trying to arouse the Lord’s jealousy? Are we stronger than he?”   
God jealous?  Not towards others, yet towards you….YES!

Let me explain.   

 Isaiah 42:8           “I am the Lord; that is my name! I will not yield my glory to another or my praise to idols.”
                         
 Isaiah 44:6           “I am the first and I am the last; apart from me there is no God.”
                        
 Isaiah 45:18         “I am the Lord and there is no other.”
                              
 Isaiah 46:9           “I am God, and there is no other; I am God, and there is none like me.”
                             
 Isaiah 48:17         “I am the Lord your God, who teaches you what is best for you, who directs you in the way  
                             you should go.”

These are just a few, but what we read is a God who sounds confident in who he is.  Nowhere in Scripture do we read God being jealous towards others by saying…”I wish I could have more power like that god over there.”  Or, ”If only I could acquire more people to believe in me like those gods.”   Nowhere in Scripture!  What we do read is a God who is jealous for us!  A God who says, and I am paraphrasing, “Why do you put your faith in something that cannot speak to you…I’m right here!”  “Why do you put your time in other things, when I am right here!”  God is jealous for you, not because he needs you, but because He knows that if you put your trust in him he will meet all your needs!  He will be able to bless you!  He will be able to provide for you emotionally and spiritually!  And the main reason…God will be able to remove sin that separates us from him!  God is jealous for you!

This did not become real until my eldest moved away to attend college.  My daughters and I have always been close.  From the time my girls were young I made it a point to build a relationship with each of them.  Daddy and daughter dates.  Shooting the breeze moments.  Coaching their soccer teams.  Going to concerts with them.  I enjoy being in their presence.  Yet when my eldest went to college things obviously changed.  So to keep us connected we text throughout the week and have family “FaceTime” every Sunday.  When we would “FaceTime” I would be disconnected.  It was hard to have my daughters’ attention as mommy and sis wanted some of her time, so I would disengage.  It was frustrating!  We would disconnect and I left feeling that my cup with my daughter was not full.   Then one Saturday I received a text…”Daddy, do you want to FaceTime?”.  Trying to keep my emotions from exploding, I said “Yes!”.  We FacedTime for an hour, catching up about classes, life and what God was teaching her through his Word.  When we disconnected I was filled with joy and then it hit me!  I am jealous for her time!  Then the Scriptures began to flood my mind as I was reminded of God’s jealousy for me.  I get it.  

He is not jealous of culture or the “gods” of this time…He is jealous for me!  The God who is holy, just, righteous all knowing, everywhere present and all powerful just wants me to trust in him.  Not self or other ideas….just Him.  So is God a jealous God…you betcha!  He is jealous for YOU!!!

His call.   His gift to you.  Your purpose.  Irrevocable.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Lets get it started!

Connected