Summer Series 2013 Part 2: With All Your Heart


God says,  “I look at the heart.”  Man says, “I look at Facebook.”  Since the creation of Facebook we as a global community have become smaller.  One evening I was messaging a friend from the content of Africa!  I’ve been reconnecting with friends and family that I have not seen in years!  It’s a great tool to keep up with someone, yet this wonderful tool sometimes gives us a glimpse into the heart of man.  Pictures posted that question ones character or witness.  In our information world there is such a need to let everyone know what is going on!  I will admit when I started Facebook I was posting everything!  Now, I watch what I post and keep it simple…a special family event, vacation pics, and a few comments here and there.  Everybody does not need to know everything going on in my life!  Yet for some reason our culture wants to make sure we know everything, and sometimes I see pics or receive information that I just do not want to see or hear!  In the last year I have seen former students “night outs” that have broken my heart.  Students who grew up in the church.  Students who when challenged for their faith could give the right answers.  Students who sat in my Bible classes and heard the warnings.  I’ve been asking myself why?  Why the desire and need to fit in?  Why present your middle finger (to my foreign friends out there…in America it is an obscene gesture) in a picture with the biggest smiles, all the while holding down your favorite brew?  Why the party pictures that show your drunkenness?  Why do I need to read the latest curse word to see that you’re having a great day?  I sit back and ask why?  Maybe it’s the attitude of “See I am on my own…I could do what I want!”  Maybe it’s a rebellion stage?  Maybe it’s a slap in the face towards God?  Whatever the reason, it comes to the heart.  

I know that I said I would share out of Isaiah 59, but I have been reading the Gospels this summer and I came across a passage the keeps screaming at me.  Luke 9:23

“Then he said to them all: “Whoever wants to be my disciple must deny themselves and take up their cross daily and follow me.”

There are four  things that stand out to me that I would like to quickly share.

1. “Whoever wants to be my disciple…”
Being a disciple was a closed issue in Biblical times.  Only the best student could be a Rabbi’s disciple. Yet Christ comes into the picture and picks the least likely men who were not educated in the system to be followers of Him!  The word “whoever” is powerful, because in the context of Scripture it went against the norm of its day!  That invitation is still open to us today!  Anyone can come to Christ and be his disciple.

2. “…my disciple must deny themselves…”
Christ was about servant hood.  He came and spoke with authority, wisdom and power, yet it was his ability to connect with people that created the masses to follow him.  It was about putting others first!  It was an idea that lived out God’s love for man.  There is a saying we have taught our girls, “See each person as if they have a sign around their neck that reads, “Make me feel special.”  Servant hood is not about me! It’s about what can I do to impact another person’s life, which should create the opportunity to share how Christ changed my life!

3.   “…take up their cross daily…”
The visual of these words must have made such an impact on the people of this time period.  The cross was not a pretty site.  It was not an encouraging symbol as it is today.  It was the most horrific and painful execution one could experience!  In Christ case it was a sacrifice!  The meaning of these words meant more after Christ death on the cross, than before.  Christ sacrificed in order for others to experience freedom.  Christ suffered that we may experience salvation.  Our witness of Christ has become a daily battle against the norm of this culture.  Following Jesus is a daily decision to “remember those earlier days after you had received the light, when you endured in a great conflict full of suffering.  Sometimes you were publicly exposed to insult and persecution; at other times you stood side by side with those who were so treated.  You suffered along with those in prison and joyfully accepted the confiscation of your property, because you knew that you yourselves had better and lasting
possessions.  So do not throw away your confidence; it will be richly rewarded.  You need to persevere so that when you have done the will of God, you will receive what he has promised” (Hebrews 10:32-39). 

4.  “…follow me…”
What Christ is saying?  “Do what I do.”  Feed the hungry.  Heal the sick.  Speak of my life changing hope.  It is Christ charge to us…”FOLLOW ME!”  Once again the context of this word had such an impact on the culture of this time.  It was the very words that a Rabbi would ask a student, when becoming a disciple.  When the disciple made the commitment to the Rabbi, he was saying, “I will follow and do everything you tell me to do!  I will follow you till the death.  I give you my whole heart!” 

When a person follows Christ with all their heart, the pages of Facebook will reflect to the world one who loves Christ.  We will become opportunities to share the hope of Christ with others!  Our conversations will be different and our vision for people will change.  It will not be about self as it is about serving others!  When we live a life that reflects our Rabbi, opportunities will open to share Him with others….besides isn't that what we are called to do? No go and make a difference!


His call.  His gift to you.  Your purpose.  Irrevocable.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Lets get it started!

Connected