Worship is a Lifestyle!

What song consumes your mind?  When you wake up…what tune plays in your head?  When you lay down to go to sleep and the quietness of the room begins to be filled with a melody…what song begins to fill the emptiness?  Music has such an influence in our lives.  From the beginning of time we see God give the gift of music.  In Genesis 4:20-22 it reads,
“Adah gave birth to Jabal; he was the father of those who live in tents and raise livestock. His brother’s name was Jubal; he was the father of all who play stringed instruments and pipes. Zillah also had a son, Tubal-Cain, who forged all kinds of tools out of[ bronze and iron.”             
The gift of music is powerful and such a blessing to our lives.  It expresses feelings.  Joy.  Pain. Anger. Love.  The emotions that can be stirred by one song can lift us up and make the day memorable!  Whenever I hear Luther Vandross sign “Here and Now”, I am taken back to my college years when my wife and I were dating.    We had begun to talk about marriage and making plans, and then we heard this song.   “Here and Now” became  our anthem and expressed what we were feeling for each other at the time.  That song became our wedding song, as I sang it to my bride!  Whenever my wife and I are in the room, and Luther begins singing “Here and Now”, it just takes a look into each other’s eyes, and we are taken back 21 years when we said “I love you.”   Songs bring back memories of our childhood!  It’s as if music becomes a marker in our life history!  The power of music! 
This is why I believe worship is so powerful and when infused in our lifestyle, we become a believer in Christ that drips with the glory of God! And when we drip in the Glory of God, it overflows to others! It overflows to the problems and issues that may bind us!   WORSHIP IS A  LIFESTYLE! 

Let me ask you a few simple questions. Just answer yes or no.
Do you get more excited at a concert than your worship with God?                                                                                                                      
Does yelling at a sports event become the only time you experience an emotional high, rather than your time with God?                                   
Does the anticipation of a new movie coming out take precedent over spending time with God?

Now please understand, I am not knocking any of these!  I have experienced every emotion asked…all I am pointing out is priorities.
Let me explain.  There have been many times that students have entered my classroom sharing their experience of a concert they attended the night before.  They share how the music was great!  The show and effects was fabulous!  They say, “We danced and had so much fun!”  I have even seen videos of students at concerts dancing away and sticking their fist in the air as the beat goes on.  Yet when it comes to worshiping in church there is silence.  My daughter just received a live concert video of her favorite group (for now), One Direction. In watching the video with her I saw young girls raise their hands during the ballads and jump as high as they could to the songs that had a strong beat.  I’ll admit, my feet where tapping to the beat!  There were even girls crying and reaching out to their favorite pop star…..
I remember watching a high school semifinal football game where my students were playing.  They lost, and as they walked of the field I saw tears streaming down their cheeks.  Yet these very same guys would stand during chapel with arms crossed as if to say, “Not going to get me to worship.”….
I have seen people spend hours standing in line for the latest blockbuster movie!  They plan weeks in advance in anticipation for the premier!  Yet when it comes to worshiping God, its placed on the back burner……
All I am saying is…if we would approach worship in the same way towards God!  I wonder how many believers would be blown away by Gods anointing.  WORSHIP IS A LIFESTYLE!  And once again, please do not think I am knocking down anything that brings fun into our lives.  I love attending concerts and I jump out of my seat every time the USA scores during a World Cup Qualifying match!   All I am saying is…priorities.  People we are worshiping the true and living God of all creation!  The God of our being!  The God of our salvation!  The least we can do is to live out our worship, just as we do towards things that are frivolous.  So let me ask again…what song is consuming your mind right now?  The latest number one single? Or the words that cry out the name of the Lord?
Listen to the words of David,
Psalm 13:5-6     
But I trust in your unfailing love; my heart rejoices in your salvation. I will sing the Lord’s praise, for he has been good to me.

Psalm 51:11-15
“Do not cast me from your presence or take your Holy Spirit from me. Restore to me the joy of your salvation and grant me a willing spirit, to sustain me. Then I will teach transgressors your ways, so that sinners will turn back to you. Deliver me from the guilt of bloodshed, O God, you who are God my Savior, and my tongue will sing of your righteousness. Open my lips, Lord, and my mouth will declare your praise.”

Psalm 59:16-17
But I will sing of your strength, in the morning I will sing of your love; for you are my fortress, my refuge in times of trouble. You are my strength, I sing praise to you; you, God, are my fortress, my God on whom I can rely.
CHALLENAGE!     Read Psalm 30 and spend some time worshiping the Lord for tall the good things he has done!
Worship is a lifestyle, not a scheduled moment!

Stay thirsty my friends for the things of the Lord, and worship loud!


His call.  His gift to you.  Your purpose.  Irrevocable.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Lets get it started!

Connected