Luke is the author of the book that bears his name and Acts. Each book is very detailed. Acts records the first thirty years of history of the church, where the Gospel of Luke records the life of Christ and the events that surrounded his story. It was very important to Luke to get the story right, because at this time (around 60 AD) many stories were filling the marketplace about this Jesus character. Many stories were being said that contradicted the divinity of Christ, his death and resurrection. Words were being put into the mouth of Christ that never had credibility and for Luke he wanted to set the story straight! The word of Christ acts and salvation were spreading throughout the region, and in just thirty years or so was making an impact in the culture as a new religion sect was on the rise (Acts 11:28). Luke gives us his reason for writing his account in the first four verses of chapter 1…

“Many have undertaken to draw up an account of the things that have been fulfilled among us, just as they were handed down to us by those who from the first were eyewitnesses and servants of the word. With this in mind, since I myself have carefully investigated everything from the beginning, I too decided to write an orderly account for you, most excellent Theophilus, so that you may know the certainty of the things you have been taught.”

This leads to our passage for today…Luke 5:1-13. The main character that is recorded is Peter. The main event was Peter’s call and a miracle that changed his life! More than likely, Peter gave his account to Luke who wrote it down in his book, recording history that gives us an insight to our calling!


The Test

“One day as Jesus was standing by the Lake of Gennesaret, the people were crowding around him and listening to the word of God. He saw at the water’s edge two boats, left there by the fishermen, who were washing their nets. He got into one of the boats, the one belonging to Simon, and asked him to put out a little from shore. Then he sat down and taught the people from the boat.” Luke 1:1-3

This may have been annoying for Peter. Why? Peter was washing his nets, which tells us that he had been ashore for a while after a long time fishing (in verse 5 Peter says “all night”)…in which his day would have started very early! He was probably frustrated, because he caught nothing (vs 5)! Nothing meant, no food or bigger yet, no goods to be sold at the marketplace! Peter was wrapping up his day and getting the nets ready for the next cast away. He was probably tired and ready to finish and go home! Yet Christ comes by and asked him to push his boat out from shore. Maybe Peter thought no big deal let him talk, I’ll finish my nets and head home. They had meet earlier (John1:35-42) and maybe the words of Christ ringed in the ears of Peter and he wanted to hear more. Whatever the reason, Peter passed the test.


Christ Request and Peter’s Obedience

“When he had finished speaking, he said to Simon, “Put out into deep water, and let down the nets for a catch.” Luke 5:4

Can you imagine such a request? Remember, Peter was up for a very long time. He and his buddies caught nothing. He was cleaning his nets, possibly even done cleaning them, and he was ready to go home! I remember when I was working as a cashier for the summer as a teenager at a nursery, I counted the minute’s right before five o’clock when I was to lock up and check out. I hated it when someone would come in at 4:55 and say. “It will only take a minute.” Fifteen minutes later I am ringing them up. Through the smile, I was annoyed! I can’t imagine what was going through Peter’s mind. Yet, Peter’s response….

“Simon answered, “Master, we’ve worked hard all night and haven’t caught anything. But because you say so, I will let down the nets.” Luke 5:5

That word “but” is the pivotal point of Peter’s response. He could have said “No! I’m tired! I’m going home!” Remember, “going back out” meant, loading the nets in the boat. It meant rowing to the area where they fished. It meant throwing the nets over and in Peter’s mind …waiting. Had they eaten? We don’t know. All we know is that they (Peter and his workers) were “up all night” working hard. So I am sure Peter had a battle going on in his mind. “Do I do it? Do I not do it?” Remember also, he had to convince his workers to go out with him. Maybe it was what Christ said during the sermon that pushed him over the edge to say “OK. Let’s do it.” We do not know. Yet for some reason, Peter’s obedience would change his life forever!


Results of Peter’s Obedience
“When they had done so, they caught such a large number of fish that their nets began to break. So they signaled their partners in the other boat to come and help them, and they came and filled both boats so full that they began to sink.” Luke 5:5

I would love to have been there to see Peter’s face! All night working. Nothing! Put the nets down where Jesus tells him and wham bam, the nets are full! So many fish that Peter calls in help to carry in the load! That was not even enough, because Luke records that the boats began taking in water! Through Peter’s obedience Jesus was able to provide for him. Yet there was a bigger picture for this visual lesson. It was not about the provisions that Jesus gave, I believe it was a visual lesson of what Christ was going to do through Peter!


Reality of Christ Grace and Power

“When Simon Peter saw this, he fell at Jesus’ knees and said, “Go away from me, Lord; I am a sinful man!” For he and all his companions were astonished at the catch of fish they had taken, and so were James and John, the sons of Zebedee, Simon’s partners.” Luke 5:8-10a

What a picture Luke gives us. I am sure after complete exhaustion from pulling in the fish and complete humility Peter says, “I am not worthy. I am a sinner and do not deserve this.” What a scene! Here was Peter who was a sailor! He was not educated like the leaders of the town. He was never asked by the spiritual leaders to continue in his education, he took on his father’s trade. All he knew was fishing and selling it in the market! Here was a man who through Scripture we see was hard and rough. Yet at this moment in time we see a man, like us all, realizing his own un-worthiness! Everything that he heard from his brother about Jesus being the Messiah must have overcome him with emotion that he could not help but to fall to his knees! We have all been there. The place where we realized we were a sinner in need of a Savior. For me it was August 12, 1979. I will never forget that day when in humility I kneeled in that front pew and gave my heart to Christ. I was so overwhelmed that tears began to flow down my cheeks because I knew I was unworthy. I knew what I had done. Shoplifting. Cussing like a sailor! Lying to my parents all the time. Hanging around the wrong crowd and living with an attitude that I did not care about anything except me! I did all of this while I was going to church with my parents. I was putting on a show for them and it worked! I was good Eddie on Sunday, and “Eddie the Terrible” come Monday! Yet at that moment when I realized that this was my decision, my faith, not my parents…the Holy Spirit came upon me and I sensed the love of God like never before! I remember that encounter and the words that flowed out of my mouth…”I’m sorry…I’m sorry. Forgive me. Forgive me.” What Peter must have felt at that moment must have overwhelmed him!


Peter’s Commission

“Then Jesus said to Simon, “Don’t be afraid; from now on you will fish for people.” So they pulled their boats up on shore, left everything and followed him.” Luke 5:10b-11

Christ did not say, “Thank you for the ride”. “Thanks for the opportunity.” It was simple and to the point at which I believe Peter would understand…

…from now on you will fish for people.
That call. That statement. Has rung in the ears of believers for two thousand years! The call of Peter is also our call to our generation. What I love about the call of Peter was that Jesus made a connection with Peter by showing him what he could do by applying his trade to impact a culture. A plan to train, equip and send others out to share the hope of Christ within the marketplace. A system that I believe made it easy for Peter to grasp. Yet for Peter, it was the beginning of a three year training program that would see him later apply this very lesson to the growth of the church. The system………..that’s next week!

His call. His gift to you. Your purpose. Irrevocable.

After thought....
Yet maybe you sit here reading this and you’re Peter. My dear friend I challenge you not to “try” Jesus but decide to live for him. Believe me, if Christ was not real, I would be wasting my time. Maybe people have failed you in the past. Maybe you have seen hypocrisy from family or friends. You are turned off by religion and the righteous acts of people who take it as literal truth. All I can ask is to set that aside. It’s not about all that. For as long as the church has been around so have the issues. And believe me; I do not see them going away anytime soon, unless there is a movement of God that reshapes the thinking of man, as we see in the early church. I know it seems hard to take a step and believe in something that is not seen. The fear of being called crazy or even losing friends echoes in the battle of your mind. Yet my dear friend, I know that Christ will meet us right where we are at when we sincerely call to him. Call on him today with the realization that Peter had and many millions throughout history. Do your research. Find out about Christ. Use your logic to come to the knowledge of who Christ is. The church has made its mistakes in the past, but that does not take away from the truth of who Jesus is. Man is not perfect. We will fail many times over, yet we still have the capacity to do some great things. Through the grace of God and all the short fallings of the church, he still uses us to share His love and hope with all humanity. What an honor and privilege. In the words of Christ to Peter (Luke 9:18-20)

"Once when Jesus was praying in private and his disciples were with him, he asked them, “Who do the crowds say I am?” They replied, “Some say John the Baptist; others say Elijah; and still others, that one of the prophets of long ago has come back to life.” “But what about you?” he asked. “Who do you say I am?” Peter answered, “God’s Messiah.”

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Lets get it started!

Connected