Spring Series Introduction: Stand in My Council

I have been reading through the book of Jeremiah these past few weeks. It's not a book with lots of nice, touchy feeling words. The book itself is one of coming judgement on the southern Jewish nation, Judah. A matter of fact Jeremiah is known as "the Weeping Prophet" for his words of lamentations. As a teenager I read through this book and I immediately feel in love with Jeremiah. Here was a young man (late teens to early twenties) who was called by God to share a message of judgment to a nation, yet at the same time spoke of God's redemption power, if the people would turn from their sinful ways (worshiping idols/gods, human sacrifices). He was bold, courageous, yet filled with compassion and determination to share what God had laid on his heart! As a young man getting ready to go to college and embark a career in the ministry, the opening of the book screamed to me...

The Lord spoke his word to me, saying:
"Before I made you in your mother's womb, I chose you. Before you were born, I set you apart for a special work. I appointed you as a prophet to the nations." Then I said, "But Lord God, I don't know how to speak. I am only a boy." But the Lord said to me, "Don't say, 'I am only a boy.' You must go everywhere I send you, and you must say everything I tell you to say. Don't be afraid of anyone, because I am with you to protect you," says the Lord. Then the Lord reached out his hand and touched my mouth. He said to me, "See, I am putting my words in your mouth. 10 Today I have put you in charge of nations and kingdoms. You will pull up and tear down, destroy and overthrow, build up and plant."
Jeremiah 1:4-10

How those words remind me of God's favor! This morning though I would like to focus on a passage that is universal. In it's context the passage is speaking directly to the false teachers/priest of Judah. While Jeremiah spoke of judgment and conviction, the spiritual leaders of that time were speaking of peace and complacency. At the same time some were even leading others to worship other gods. Yet through Jeremiah, the word of the Lord challenges these very men.

Thus says the LORD of hosts: "Do not listen to the words of the prophets who prophesy to you, filling you with vain hopes. They speak visions of their own minds, not from the mouth of the LORD. They say continually to those who despise the word of the LORD, 'It shall be well with you'; and to everyone who stubbornly follows his own heart, they say, 'No disaster shall come upon you.'" For who among them has stood in the council of the LORD to see and to hear his word,
or who has paid attention to his word and listened? Jeremiah 23:16-18


Again God speaks to these lying leaders...

"I did not send the prophets, yet they ran; I did not speak to them, yet they prophesied. But if they had stood in my council, then they would have proclaimed my words to my people, and they would have turned them from their evil way, and from the evil of their deeds. "Am I a God at hand, declares the LORD, and not a God far away? Can a man hide himself in secret places so that I cannot see him? declares the LORD. Do I not fill heaven and earth? declares the LORD. I have heard what the prophets have said who prophesy lies in my name, saying, 'I have dreamed, I have dreamed!' How long shall there be lies in the heart of the prophets who prophesy lies, and who prophesy the deceit of their own heart, who think to make my people forget my name by their dreams that they tell one another, even as their fathers forgot my name for Baal? Let the prophet who has a dream tell the dream, but let him who has my word speak my word faithfully. What has straw in common with wheat? declares the LORD. Is not my word like fire, declares the LORD, and like a hammer that breaks the rock in pieces?" Jeremiah 23:21-29


What stands out to me are the words the Lord repeated. Do you notice them? "If they would have stood in my council..." When we take a look around our world today, it seems crazy. Whether it be a financial crisis, war or natural disaster, times seem to be uncertain. Frustration may fill the air or hopelessness of a future. We hear the gloom each night when we turn on the news. I believe these times require leaders who have direction, confidence and an attitude that helps people out of their despair. Pastors...stand in the council of the Lord. Business owners...stand in the council of the Lord. Leaders...stand in the council of the Lord. For when we stand in God's council we will receive a word from an omnipresent, omniscient God that speaks to the very depths of our hearts. When we stand in His council we receive healing from our brokenness and worries. When we stand in His council we are empowered with His anointing to accomplish the very task He has given to us to accomplish! When we stand in His council we are given a vision to lead others to greatness! For your walk with God...STAND IN HIS COUNCIL. For your business...STAND IN HIS COUNCIL. Stand in the council of the Lord and receive from Him your blessing!

"Am I a God at hand, declares the LORD, and not a God far away? 24 Can a man hide himself in secret places so that I cannot see him? declares the LORD. Do I not fill heaven and earth? declares the LORD."



His call. His gift to you. Your purpose. Irrevocable.

COMING April 17, Irrevocable Call Spring Series: Leaders, Stand in My Council!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Lets get it started!

Connected